We love Mexican food and tacos & taco salad are regulars in our home. Something that is hard for me to give up in my salad though is something crunchy! But having a strict food list to choose from does NOT include tortilla chips (because you have no control over the amount of oil used, preservatives, etc.).
SO, I decided to make a plain ‘ole salad a little more interesting with my own homemade seasoned tortilla strips using approved ingredients. There is nothing quite like jazzing up something boring and knowing you are doing in a healthy way.
- 2 small corn tortillas
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- Everything Spicy Flavor God Seasoning (you can use your own mixture of taco seasoning here, too)
- 3/4 cup mixed greens
- 1/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup prepared taco meat (4 oz. ground beef cooked with taco seasoning)
- (optional) 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cut tortillas into strips about 1/4 inch wide & 2 inches long. (You could also just cut them into 1/4 sections for chips). Heat 1 tsp avocado oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the tortilla strips, toss in the oil & cook until crispy. Remove from pan, then sprinkle with seasoning.
Combine all on a plate and eat up!
- 1 Red
- 1 Green
- 1 Yellow
- 1 Teaspoon
- heartOptional Blue if you add shredded cheese